If you have not seen tonight’s episode “Rock and a Hard Place” then beware of spoilers below.
This episode starts out with a girl getting kidnapped from someone lifting a car off the ground and then cuts to Sam asleep in the Men of Letters kitchen. Jody Mills reappears (and yay for that – she is the best) and tells the boys about the case, which involves four missing church members. The brothers go to the church and thinking that it may be dragons (because the missing people were part of a purity group), join the group. They are born-again virgins! Of course that doesn’t last long with Dean who runs into a former porn star in the group. She’s the “teacher”.
While Dean is seducing the former porn star, Jody and Sam figure out virgins aren’t the target, but those who break their virginity pledges are the victims. Sam, knowing his brother, tries to warn him but Dean is too busy having spaghetti western sex with the former porn star. As Sam and Jody rush to save Dean, he and the former porn star are whooshed away by a blue light and dropped into a basement/dungeon where all the heretic sex addicts have went. In what could’ve been a horror/porn mashup, Dean and the de-virgined guy get into it about male on male fighting stuff which apparently revolves around not feeding a girl to a monster. Yeah I’m not giving her a name because I doubt Dean will remember it either.
Sam and Jody realize that it’s the Roman Goddess Vesta who has been kidnapping the non-virgins. After a broken phone call from Dean, Sam and Jody realize they are at a farm outside town. They get split up and Vesta ties the mouthy Sheriff to a torture table (show’s got to do something with it this season). Sam interrupts and Vesta tries to take his liver and in an uncanny parallel to Season Six’s “You Can’t Handle the Truth”, another Roman Goddess reveals how Sam is broken inside. Jody gets out of the torture with a wooden stake in her arm and kills Vesta.
The episode ends with a heartfelt Sam dialogue about feeling broken (and what a character devolution from last season’s finale). Dean moves to tell him about Zeke, but the angel interrupts Dean and warns him not to tell Sam. If Sam ejects him, then Sam dies. Zeke leaves and Sam looks to Dean. Dean lets it go.
Things I liked:
1. Sheriff Mills for the win!!!!
2. Witty dialogue lines by the only solo female writer on staff.
3. Sheriff Mills, did I mention her?
4. MILLCHESTER (my ship of Sam and Jody)
5. Roman Goddess Vesta – so no Greeks this year. Sorry, Oedipus.
Things I didn’t like:
1. Awkward spaghetti western music in “seduction” scene
2. Failed Ackles skin demonstration – if you tease me with Dean sex, show, then it better involve a shirtless Ackles. It doesn’t count with clothes on. And since this is an odd numbered season, I have to wait until Season 10 for shirtless Sam and sex. I hate you, show.
3. ZEKE. May his ass rot in hell.
4. Teen horror porn basement trio made me wish for Joss Whedon to come in and kill them all.
5. Torture table! Why, why, show?! Burn that thing. I mean it or use it on men once in a while.
Theories of the week:
1. Zeke is bad. Zeke is not healing Sam. Zeke is using Sam for his own nefarious purposes. Zeke is BAD.
2. Sam is a virgin so he’s one step closer to living the life of a cloistered nun and starring in my dream version of Abelard and Heloise.
3. If we are paralleling Season 6, then the next step is Dean going to Death with a deal. On a serious note, that was a fairly blatant parallel to “You Can’t Handle the Truth” and I wonder if it is a clue to the storyline. Just spitballing but that would be intriguing since Cas’s storyline right now is about redeeming himself from his Godstiel days. So is this a revisitation of Season Six or am I overreading again? (I am apt to do this.)
On a side note: I feel we are about to get all kinds of Dean angst. Poor Dean. And I know I didn’t talk about the “sex” scene because as I tweeted, “That was 10 lbs of awkward in a 5 lb bag.” And that’s all I have to say about it.
Please share thoughts, speculations, and other things below.