It’s getting so close guys,.can you feel it? The new season is almost upon us, so I thought I’d share just a few of the reasons that I’m excited about season 8. Of course, there’s a whole bunch of reasons, but here’s 10 (out of a possible 100) that have me really pumped!
10.Purgatory. Having been to VanCon last month, I’ve now been to some of the “Supernatural” locations, including Purgatory! I’m excited to see Purgatory play a major part, in at least, the first half of the season and picture myself standing there (complete with blue paint splatter up my leg from stepping on an unexploded paintball round). I love the idea of Purgatory. I want to see another “Supernatural” Universe. We’ve briefly visited Heaven, we’ve tap-danced around Hell,not literally of course, but we’ve never had a really good look at any of the other plains that play a significant role in the show’s mythology. Until now. So many of the creatures we’ve met over the years, would’ve been sent to Purgatory by Sam and Dean. Getting to see this dark place, understand what lives there, how it affects Dean and how it affects Cass, what the outcome is for both of these characters, feels new and fresh and fascinating. Put simply, Purgatory has me jazzed!
9.Epic Winchester reunion complete with hug. Is there anything better than a Winchester hug? (Well, maybe a J2 hug with me in the middle). I love it when these boys reunite after an absence and this one looks to be all smiley Dean and slightly startled Sam. Of course, this time around their separation was thrust upon them, so the dynamic feels different. Plus, after the last bitter/sweet back from The Cage hug and Sam’s soul reinsertion after trying to kill Bobby hug, both from season 6, we deserve a really hearty back from the dead, honest to goodness, both of them happy to see each other hug, don’t you think? Yes we do. Beyond the hug though, I’m also looking forward to seeing how the brothers traverse this unchartered territory of being split up, not by choice and having to fend for and discovering they can fend for themselves, without the support of each other. What affect is this going to have on them and who they are as a team? It makes me nervous, because Lord knows there’ll be angst. But it’s a good thing right? That they can survive without the other one? It is. Really. I hope they see that (Dean, are you listening?), as they find each other again. But first,let’s hug it out Winchester style, arms wrapped up high around each other’s shoulders and eyes closed.
8.Jensen’s latest directing effort. Jensen’s a talented guy and I love watching him progress creatively. It doesn’t help that I’m somewhat smitten with him. (Somewhat!? I hear you all say out loud). Having been at his Q&A recently, I heard him speak about how difficult it was directing this time around. How he had to juggle his large acting load with the load associated with directing this complex show. How it was difficult to perform Dean, having to find his footing with his character, while trying to ensure he was meeting everyone’s needs as director. He was in Dean headspace and yet everyone was looking to him for guidance. Flipping gears like that must be tremendously draining. It’s a tricky balancing act, when you have to produce your own creative output, while overseeing and guiding everyone else’s and trying to answer everyone’s questions. Lots of plates spinning on sticks! I want see and be all proud and stuff. Of course, I bet it looks like he waltzes it in. The guy seems to be good at everything,except drawing, thank goodness he can’t draw,.because that would be ridiculous!
7.Hear Baby roar. Or maybe I should say purrrrrrrr. We really didn’t get a chance to see Baby in all her new hotted up glory at the end of season 7, because she was there, then she was crashing through a sign and then we were out. Boo. So I’m excited to see Baby back on the road and how pretty she’s looking after her makeover. Every girl loves a makeover right? Maybe now they won’t have to over dub some other car noise into her scenes, because her shiny new awesomeness will sound awesome enough! I can’t wait to see the boys, driver and shotgun, back cruising the roads in Dean’s Baby. Ahhhhh,it’ll feel like the balance has been restored to the world.
6. New characters. Okay, I’ll admit the Sam’s girlfriend character concept gives me a tiny case of the nervous weebs, but I’m still excited to see how that all pans out and how the brothers deal with this new relationship and what Sam’s new take on life is. I actually kind of like the idea of Sam being all domesticated and happy,.but, you know, not for too long! A fangirl has her limits! But I’m probably more excited about the new regular characters I’ve read about in the spoilers. You know whom I’m talking about. I’m not going to talk about them here. I don’t want to ruin it for those who avoid spoilers like the zombie plague. Let’s just say I’m excited and leave it at that. As much as I love the brothers, as much as to me they are the heart and soul of everything, I do like other characters in their Universe and with Bobby gone,for now,and Cass’ fate currently unknown,well a few more people in the Winchester’s world to stir the pot has to be a good thing, even if they’re bad. Oh and the dog,.Sam and a dog is going to be seriously the cutest thing ever right?
5. Sam’s hair. Speaking of Sam. How epic is his hair? Its gloriousness is only matched by Sam’s gloriousness. I want to run my hands though it and softly nuzzle it,wait,was that my out-loud voice? I miss those 70’s sidies, but his shiny, flowing locks are pretty much making up for it. I’m hoping for a bit of running,so I can see those locks whooshing around in the breeze, maybe in slomo. Too much? I know this is terribly trivial, but every time I see a photo or anything season 8 related, I let out a hearty sigh at Sam’s hair. It’s just so gosh darn pretty.
4. Edlund’s Vampirates. I love Edlund. LOVE HIM. I was bidding on that charity lunch thing with him, but when it climbed into the thousands I had to remind myself that food is also good and in the long run, probably more important to my existence, but only marginally. It closed at $3850 by the way,in case you were wondering. I’m ridiculously excited for Ben’s first episode of the season, the one Guy directed, episode 5, the one I saw them shooting (squeeeee). All of Ben’s interviews at Comic Con made me giggle, mostly because he giggled. It’s the first episode he’s ever turned in on time! Also, he said he wrote a scene with Dean on a beach. ON A BEACH. Dean! I’m assuming he won’t be in his boardies, flipping a Frisbee, but still! Dean. On a beach! Did I mention I love Edlund?
3. Bad-Ass Dean. Speaking of Dean. We’ve suffered through morose Dean for quite some time now. Patiently waiting for him to pull himself out of the black hole he seemed to be falling deeper into with each episode. Every so often there’d be a glimmer of that smart-ass, bad-assed Dean Winchester we love so much, but then, back to funk city. Which is nowhere near funky town. He’s been through the ringer,since he was 4 really,and he’s a grow’d up man and I don’t need him being all flippant left and right and I don’t expect him to be who he once was. He’s matured (rather nicely I might add) and for him to not have grown and become somewhat world-weary would be ridiculous. But, I just want him to rediscover his mojo. To realise that what he does, though difficult and tragic, is epic in its importance. That he’s an amazing human being. That he’s a good person. That he’s got a beautiful heart and a deep well of a soul. That he’s not some evil killing machine. That he’s loved. That he’s a hero. That he’s DEAN WINCHESTER God damn it! I’ll take Dean anyway you give him to me. Happy, sad, depressed, drunk, partially clad,.. but my favourite Dean KICKS BUTT and digs it. My favourite Dean is all guns blazing. My favourite Dean is clever, with an inappropriately timed smart-mouth and quick as a whip humour. I want him to be happy,or at least accepting and learning to live with,his past, his future, and his life as a hunter. I don’t want him getting up and faking that damn smile every day., because, that’s just too painful to think about. I’m feeling a little optimistic that maybe my hopes and prayers might be answered. Some of the comments I read that Jensen has made about Dean in season 8 made it sound like maybe, just maybe, Dean might be getting back on track. Maybe, just maybe, in season 8 we’ll see him rediscover his Deanness. Oh that would be so neat. Mr Carver, are you listening?
2. Jeremy Carver. Speaking of Carver. Jeremy Carver was one of my favourite writers during his first stint on “Supernatural”. He has that special skill of balancing the humour, with the emotion and the mythology. Not all the writers can do that. Some should stay away from mythology all together (*cough* Dabb and Loflin). Some should steer clear of Winchestery moments (*cough* Adam Glass). But there are a few, Carver included, who can balance all the things that make “Supernatural” the brilliant show it is. Season 6 and season 7 were,. patchy. 7 was better than 6. I enjoyed both, but there were times where the show felt,. unfocused. I don’t blame any one person, I know better than that and a lot of what’s rolled out in the last 2 seasons was about the show finding its feet after the 5 season arc finished and Kripke stepped down. Carver had me at hello. But he really had me when he spoke about the brothers being the centre of the show and the heart of “Supernatural”. That he felt the mythology had become too thick. That there was no longer enough humour in the series. That he wants to recapture the Winchester’s relationship and lighten the tone, recapture the magic that made us fall in love with them and this show in the first place. He wants to recognise that the brothers are now men, no longer boys and that this will have changed them as people and how they interact with each other. Every single word that’s come out of Carver’s mouth since he was announced as the new show-runner has got me buzzing. Changing show-runners is a big deal and if it wasn’t him, I may be nervous. But I’m not. Not in the slightest. He launched Being Human US and did a great job with that show and he understands the dynamics of the brother’s relationship and what makes “Supernatural” great. Kripke said, “I love that Jeremy came back, he learned the family business, went off, and now has come back to the family business ““ just like Sam!” Yep. Welcome home Jeremy.
1. Because it’s “Supernatural”. D’UH! I LOVE THIS SHOW! OF COURSE I’M EXCITED!
What are you guys all looking forward to? Are you excited, nervous?
Oh one last thing,. THE HIATUS IN NEARLY OVER! Eeeeeeee!