Warning!!!! If you haven’t seen “Man’s Best Friends With Benefits,” read no further or I will be forced to take up witchcraft and send my platypus familiar after you!
So, okay, that was a filler episode. There are plenty every season, and that’s fine. I totally understand that. I do. Just, this episode was not great, and it could have been. Filler episodes can be really awesome. This one…not so much. I’m not flames-from-the-side-of-my-face angry, but I’m a little disappointed. It was more like “Meh’s Best Friend With Benefits.” Meh. There were some fun moments, but overall probably not an episode I’ll rewatch much, if at all.
But before I get into tonight’s episode, I want to talk about a theory that popped up due to last week’s episode. Since Alice kindly took my review last week, I didn’t get to talk about it, but I am gonna fix that tonight! Thanks to Bookdal, who talked about this theory with me at its inception. BRAAAAAAHM!
Crowley Theory Of The Week
In “Trial and Error,” we got what seemed to be a throwaway line about Crowley not explaining the rules to Ellie, and Dean passed it off as Crowley being a dick. I don’t think that’s the case. Well, yes, Crowley can be a dick, but that’s not what I mean. Crossroads demons have a protocol to follow, and all the other ones we’ve seen have followed it. You explain the rules and convince people to sell their soulds anyway. That’s how it works. They’re kind of sticklers for the rules. And Crowley, the supposed king of the crossroads, well, he’d definitely know that. Some fans, myself included, have wondered if Crowley isn’t more than what he seems. I think he is. I think he’s an angel. But more than that, I think he’s an angel UNDERCOVER in hell. So him not explaining the rules? That was just him not exactly doing it right, not quite maintaining the perfect demonic cover.
Not only do I think Crowley is an angel, I think he’s one of Naomi’s CIANgels sent to hell to work undercover down there. I think he’s running a very long con. Why does he know Enochian? Why are his eyes red? Why was he torturing Samandriel, you may ask? Well, he still has to keep his cover, after all. OR he’s an agent gone rogue and he actually is a demon now. But I think it’s more interesting if he’s still on heaven’s side, just working from a very different angle. I mean, can you imagine? We’ll see how this plays out through the rest of the season, but for now, I’m curious what you all think of this. Like it? Hate it? Am I crazy?
If Secret Keeping Was A Town, Sam And Dean Would Be Co-Mayors
I’m not sure I buy Dean’s whole “I don’t think you can do the trials, Sam” trust issues. It just doesn’t seem to follow what he said to Henry in “As Time Goes By” about how awesome Sam is as a hunter. Because we all know Sam can DO the trials, it’s just that Dean doesn’t want him to have to go through them. So, what I would have totally bought instead was the following (very poorly written but you get the idea) scenario.
Dean: I’m worried that you’re going to be hurt or killed during these trials, Sam, and I can’t handle that because I am Dean and have abandonment issues, so don’t die.
Sam: Dean, I understand that you are worried about me, but I can do this. I need your help, but I can do this.
Dean: Duh, of course I’ll help you. Just please tell me if you’re hurt or sick or start coughing up blood or something so that I can help.
Sam: *coughs up blood*
Dean: What was that?
Sam: Nothing, I’m fine. *keeps secret so Dean doesn’t worry about him*
Now you’ve got Sam keeping a secret and Dean worrying so it can all blow up in their faces later, like it ALWAYS does. In fact, it would be kind of refreshing if there were no secrets this time and they just went through this together as best they could, but ha, that’s a pipe dream. No secrets? Scandalous! Also, did I miss the part last week where it said only one person can do the trials? Aside from Sam and Dean saying it, I mean. I may have, but I was under the impression initially that they just needed to get done but not by one person in particular.
Anyway, on to the rest of the episode, bullet point style!
- Dean hates witches sooooo much. I love it.
- Is the alley in the cold open the alley where Dean was vamped? It looks like it.
- Arguing about the Three Stooges…aww, brothers. “Lame-assiest” hee.
- WAS CHRISTIAN CAMPBELL AN ACTOR IN THIS EPISODE?!?! Yes, he was James! He’s also Neve Campbell’s brother, as one of my Twitter friends pointed out. Did anyone else think that was a very amusing name coincidence?
- “That was incredibly hot.” “It was kind of hot.”
- No, that”™s just wrong, going after a blind guy. Come on.
- Portia is raising an interesting question about who helps you if you”™re a witch or creature and you”™re having problems? Wouldn’t it be kind of awesome to have an episode with a supernatural shrink?
- Also, is it weird that my first instinct was Porsche not Portia? People name dogs after cars! What? I know she’s not just a dog, but still!
- Look, the whole having sex with your familiar thing was, yeah, weird and uncomfortable. I’m glad Dean mentioned that fact. The first time. Maybe the second. But he didn’t need to keep harping on it. We get it. Move on.
- Sex scene? Why? We could have had some kissing and whatnot, but that was just really awkward and not really necessary.
- I wasn’t surprised that Spencer was involved, guessed it when he said it wasn’t possible to mind control other witches, but was it me or did his motivation come really out of left field?
- I understand that they’re trying to expand the methods the Winchesters have for killing things, I really do, but here’s the thing. If Bobby had a witch killing spell, maybe that could have been used as a threat against Patrick when he held those years of Bobby’s life? Maybe? You know how you work around that? Sam found the spell in the Batcave in one of the MoL books.
- Old-school conversation in the car to end the episode, nice.
What did you think about the episode? And for the record, in case anyone was curious, I do go through the comments and read them, I just don’t respond because there are a lot of comments, and it would take more time than I have to answer everyone. But keep them coming!