WARNING!!!!! If you haven't seen "Blood Brother" yet, read no further! There will be spoilers, discussion, blood, Elton John puns!!!! But seriously, don't read if you haven't watched. And if you have, let's do this!!!!!!!!!
What did we all think of "Blood Brother"? I thought it was a solid episode. Not a classic, but solid and enjoyable. It heavily featured our newest resident vampire, Benny, so let's talk about him for a bit before heading into other topics. Also, I apologize if this is more bullet pointy than usual. I've had a long day, and I'm getting tired, so I may have to leave the extremely serious discussion to you, the commenters! I'm gonna blame my 1-year-old since she's not old enough to read and see me blaming her, ha ha ha.
I have to say, I am really enjoying Benny. I feel like he's a great addition, very nuanced. Benny is smart, too, to not try and get in between Dean and Cass too much, to not get in between Sam and Dean. He knows he's walking a thin line, so he's careful not to step off it. The drinking donated blood definitely helps his case, too. I think if he wasn't drinking donated blood, Dean would have either used him to get out and then ditched him or gone after him post-Purgatory. Because even if Benny did help Dean get out, if he was killing humans, all bets are off. And Benny is having such a hard time adjusting, isn't he? He was in purgatory a lot longer than Dean, and now he's lost everything yet again. I hope this doesn't make him fall off the wagon and start attacking humans.
I honestly wasn't expecting any Sam flashbacks tonight, so that was a really great surprise. And is anyone else kind of warming up to Amelia? I wasn't sold at first, but I can see now why Sam likes her. She's damaged, like him, she's smart, doesn't take his crap. I generally get the feeling from Sam that he wants a woman who's going to challenge him, and so far Amelia fits the bill. Also, if you stop and think about it, she has every right to be cautious of him. Here's this giant man who hit a dog and then turns up in your motel room with a tool box, and hey, that's kind of weird, right? I'd be scared of him, too.
Okay, I'm gonna go to bullet points now, and this part might be long because there were a lot of things I enjoyed that I want to mention.
- I loved the line about Benny crawling his way out of God's ass. Good to know what monsters think about Purgatory.
- I'm with Dean. I would definitely take the Toblerone, too. That stuff is GOOD.
- The fight scene with Benny whistling "In the Hall of the Mountain Kings" was Awesome Sauce. That was super creepy and atmospheric.
- Speaking of creepy and atmospheric, the tinkling piano piece in Benny's maker's house was excellent, too.
- I thought Sam fixing things and being a handyman made perfect sense because you know that Dean taught him how to fix things when they were kids. They spent so much time at motels, maybe Dean did little odd jobs to help pay for the room if their dad was out on a hunt too long. And he would drag Sam with him and show him how to fix things, too, because that's what a big brother does. I have a lot of back story for this, okay?
- When the fan started rattling, was anyone else expecting something bloody to come of it? You know you're watching "Supernatural" when a rattling bathroom fan sets you off.
- I loved in Purgatory how Dean and Benny were all like, bam, monster killing with our bone weapons, and then Cass was all, "monster, please," and smited the hell out of it.
- "Vampirates" was literally the third thing I thought, too, right after, "oh, that's a smart plan" and "B-B-Benny and the Yachtssssssss."
- Hey, I've got an idea! Let's be in Purgatory trying to avoid lots of monsters but then yell very loudly for an extended period of time! Monsters can't hear, right?
- Sam, what did your phone ever do to you that you'd throw it around so much? Poor phone. Moose smash!
- How flipping awesome were the Purgatory Leviathans, though? They were like goo meteors. That was really, really cool, and I hope we see more of them.
- There were a lot of really great fight scenes tonight, and I especially liked the Benny/Sorrento one with the slow-mo. But not over-the-top slow-mo. Guy Bee nailed it!
- The locations people also nailed it. Those were some great pier/boat/coast locations.
- Sam and Dean on the dock was a perfect example of their ability to say so much without saying a word. Really subtle and amazing.
- I really liked Andrea's pants, but there's no way in hell I could ever pull them off. I'm A) not thin enough, and B) not that sophisticated of a dresser.
- Vampirates! Benny, seriously, how did no one in your vampire cult think of that?
- I'm really digging how efficient Sam and Dean are this season. They are getting shit done, whether it's fighting or killing monsters or research or math or anything. They are lean, mean, fighting machines. And it's really nice to see this side of them again. I don't mind them getting one-upped once in a while, but it's been so great to not have them dropping their weapons every single time a monster gets near them.
- "Dog! Dog! Come here, Dog!"
- "Oh, my God, just stop talking!" Brothers!
- Next week's episode looks tense, doesn't it? Even if Garth is there to lighten the mood. I'm glad that Sam and Dean are finally gonna hash things out, though fisticuffs look plausible, because Dean is so not over Sam not looking for him. Maybe Sam will finally explain.