WARNING!!! If you haven't seen "Goodbye Stranger," read no further! There are going to be lots of spoilers and theories and discussion about the episode, and you'll want to see it yourself before you read about it secondhand! But when you have seen it, come and join me and discuss!
Whoa, Whoa, I VERY much enjoyed that episode. Robbie Thompson has absolutely killed all his episodes this season, I think. I can't wait to see what he has in store for us next. Everyone just nailed it tonight. The one thing I'm still upset about, though, is...
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG! NOOOOOOO! WHY?!?!?!?!?
Look, I know she was a demon. I know she has done very, truly, horrible things on this show in the past. LOTS of them. But you know what? I still loved her character. She was snarky and evil and brutal and duplicitous and interesting and fun and horrible and all manner of things. But I still didn't want her to die, and if she had to die, part of me wishes it had been some insane plot twist or overthrowing Crowley or giant explosion or something fittingly glorious. But another part of me is saying, "no, in war and conflict, sometimes people just die and they're gone. They don't always get the sendoff they deserve." But another part of me is like, "but this is TV, and they can do it there!" And then another part of me chimes in with, "but isn't it refreshing when someone just DIES and that's it? That it ISN'T this overblown ordeal?" So I can't decide where I'm coming down on the issue, at least not yet. Maybe some time will help solve that. What did you think about Meg's death?
Crazy Theory Vindication! (Maybe?)
Some of you may remember that in my "Let's Speculate" for "Man's Best Friend With Benefits" that I speculated that Crowley was actually an angel and possibly an undercover CIAngel. That is seeming more and more likely after tonight's episode. He knows Naomi from back in Mesopotamia? That sounds like they were on a mission together. I mean, angels in heaven don't know about Naomi and her gang, but Crowley does. And his banter with her sounded a lot like angels talking to their siblings. Now, an arm stab with an angel blade won't kill a demon, as we saw with Cas' torture scene with the demon earlier in the episode, but I think the visual effects when he got stabbed with the blade and when Meg did looked different. And how did Crowley get into the crypt building with all those demon wards? Easy. It wasn't warded against angels. I think it's looking good for my theory, though.
New Crazy Theory of the Week
I think Castiel is going to end up taking the angel tablet to Metatron, and he's going to ask Metatron to either wipe it clean so it can never be used or write over it so the information on there is changed. And I still want to know what it does. Why would an angel write instructions on how to seal up heaven or destroy angels? Why would God ask an angel to write that? So many questions. But this could be Castiel's mission now, finding Metatron and asking for his help. It surely won't be easy, though.
Is Sam Really Damaged Irreparably?
Castiel was talking about Sam being damaged in ways he couldn't heal him. That sounds extremely ominous. But what if it's just Sam's body self-correcting and expelling the demon blood? What if that's what he is coughing up because he needs to be "pure" for the trials? Damaged on an atomic level. Is that the trials or something else or a combination of Sam's past and the trials?
Okay, this is already long enough, so let's get to the bullet points.
- I LOVE in media res openers. And that opener was a DOOZY. It was so shocking, seeing all those dead Deans on the floor. Cas is gonna have to live with that memory for a long time.
- Doc Holliday! Yes, Dean awesome reference. And more fitting than you know.
- "Volumptuous Asian Lovlies." HA HA HA HA.
- The Bunker has the best Risk table ever! It's lit up and everything!
- That model of the city is a cool prop, though. It really reminded me of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" with the city in the underground tomb and Indy using the staff to find the location of the Ark.
- Getting caught in curlers by Sam and Dean is a nightmare situation for women, right? Props to not having everyone all made up and lovely, though.
- LOLOL, never ask a PhD candidate about their dissertation. I know all you PhD candidates will accept this is not a wise idea unless you have some time to kill or really want to know about it.
- The Cass and Naomi interactions were so tense and interesting.
- "The strange-haired demon in the kitchen." HA HA HA.
- "You know, I can hear you both. I am a celestial being." YES YES YES YES. That was awesome. Also, someone finally called them out on moving like 3 feet away and giving up important info.
- Robo!Cass is SCARY, holy shit. I guess that's what you get when you learn interrogation techniques from CIAngels.
- "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper." "Hi, I'm Meg. I'm a demon." SNARKY!
- They're digging in the wrong place!!!! Another "Raiders" reference and one of my favorite lines of that movie.
- "My noodle remembers everything. I think it's a pretty good noodle."
- Megstiel. Dean actually said Megstiel.
- I know Misha's teaser about the talk between Meg and Castiel caused a big to-do online yesterday, but I thought that scene was kind of awkward and adorable and funny. Nothing was ever actually going to happen between those two.
- "If you want something done right, blah, blah, blah." Crowley is such a bastard.
- I still want to know why Lucifer had crypts. What was he doing with them? Why did he need them?
- "Shut up, Meg!" Heeeeee.
- I found it very interesting that the lighting in Naomi's room changed when Castiel started slipping away from her. The window side went from bright white to a sunset. We had only ever seen bright white there before. Curious, no?
- Because of the teaser and seeing Castiel kill Dean, the whole scene between the two of them in the crypt was super tense and amazing.
- I mean, this is LITERALLY one of the lines in my notes from that scene. "Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap."
- Put the tablet back in the ANGEL-WARDED BOX!!!! I mean, if you don't want Cas to have it, put it in the box. Right? Right.
- "Love it when you get all tough. Touches me right where my bathing suit goes." Crowley, you magnificent bastard. Writing for snarky demons must be so much fun.
- CROWLEY AND NAOMI, this is excellent. I want more of them interacting.
- "Tart stole my move." Crowley, best ever.
- "Rudy hobbit always gets a pass!" And I love that Sam called Dean on using that quote. And then Dean turns on the radio to indicate that THIS CONVERSATION IS OVER! They're such brothers.
- And we meet another CIAngel. Looks like the hairdo is standard issue along with the suits.
- Why can't the angels find Cas? Is he protected by the tablet somehow? They found him in Purgatory, which seems like it would be more difficult. Is Cas warding himself? We'll probably have to wait a while to find out.
Remember, this article is a free zone, so no comments will be moved. HOWEVER, there are still commenting rules that apply. Be respectful, no name-calling, that sort of thing. Basically, use common sense and be polite. We will edit or delete comments we feel are inappropriate.