Warning!!! If you haven't seen "Everybody Hates Hitler," read no further! If you do, I will be forced to learn Hebrew and summon a golem and have it shut down your computer so you won't spoil yourself!Well, I have to say, I am a much happier camper tonight than I was last Wednesday night. This was a very enjoyable episode for the most part, though there was one thing that just makes me go all keyboard smash, but we'll get to that, and it's pretty minor and a personal pet peeve. But first, a theory!
Theory of the Week:
Sam really found his place with the Batcave, didn't he? It's perfect for him...or can be with a little updating, like some high-speed internet, some phones, some cushy chairs where he won't have to lean over and hurt his back, probably some longer beds because '50s twin beds, man, not good. Anyway, when the show inevitably ends, can't you see him there passing along information to hunters? He can be another Bobby or Garth now, I guess, or a Man of Letters, whatever he wants. He can contribute to the fight but not be on the front lines. Because I don't think he's just going to stop doing SOMETHING regarding hunting, even if he says he wants out. He just didn't know there was this option before. So Sam will continue with this, and Dean is gonna keep hunting, but I think Cass will hunt with him. Dean really doesn't enjoy being alone, and Cass did say he wanted to become a hunter and all that, so why not? The Batcave can be their new home base since Bobby's house is gone, and Rufus' cabin can be their vacation house, and they can maybe just breathe for a while sometimes. Nice. Very nice. Which is why it won't happen, right? Too clean.
EDIT: Struck a bit of a nerve with some of you with this theory. But what I didn't make clear enough, perhaps, is that I don't see this happening while the show is airing, but afterwards, like the long-run plan.
Since this episode was kind of mytharc light, and because I need to get to bed at a decent hour to care for my sick toddler tomorrow, I am gonna bullet point the rest of this again. Bullet points for the win! I'm guessing we'll have much more to speculate about next week, though, when we get some meaty "closing Hell's gates" issues to discuss. But first, the good, the funny, and the thing that makes me want to throw a pillow every time I see it.
- I love motorcycles with sidecars. I think they look really neat. Sidebar: la couple weeks ago here in Pittsburgh, I saw a motorcycle cop with a sidecar. Why? You can't put a suspect in there, surely. What's the point? What goes in that sidecar?
- No matter what you say in German, it always sounds like you're angry.
- The golem melted a Nazi face "Raiders of the Lost Ark" style, so nice shout out there.
- Not gonna lie, I didn't expect it to be an ACTUAL key in that box. Thought that was metaphorical.
- The Batcave set is EPIC, hot damn. It's really cool, and I look forward to seeing it shot from a bunch of different angles.
- Who hasn't wanted to flip on power like Dean did in the Batcave, right? Those big Frankenstein switches. You know you want to.
- Hee, Sam said son of a bitch.
- DEAN! You are the best. Slippers and a bathrobe, the sword, ILU.
- HAL LINDEN! I love "Barney Miller." If you've never watched it, you really should do yourself a favor and check it out. It's great. And I've had the theme song stuck in my head for days since learning Hal Linden was gonna be on the show. Now you can, too. It's so funky, this theme song.
- I used to volunteer at a museum when I was in college, and you definitely wear white fabric gloves to look at an old manuscript, or when you touch any old object that shouldn't get your hand oils on it. Good attention to detail there.
- Dean asked about Cass. Good continuity there. See, all it takes is a couple lines to show that you're keeping up with what has been happening earlier in your season.
- Sam's jacket has arm patches! He's wearing a sweater!
- I do not envy the casting department for this episode, having to find someone to play the golem. Bigger than Jared AND can act? That's a...wait for it...tall order. Ba-zing!
- I loved the golem. He was so crankypants.
- Sam knows the Library of Congress filing system. YES!
- Okay, here is the thing that drives me up the wall. Every episode someone is after them or tailing them or they're in danger or whatever, and someone is inevitably like, "I'll just go over here ALONE, I'm sure nothing will happen." IT ALWAYS HAPPENS! You'd think they would figure it out already, for serious. I know it's a pacing thing and stuff needs to happen to people to further the plot or whatever, but it's soooooo annoying to me. It's like when people in LOST would be like, "I'm gonna go walking through the jungle for 8 hours, see you later" and then put their backpack over one shoulder and walk that way the entire time. YOUR BACKPACK HAS TWO STRAPS! USE THEM! EVENLY DISTRIBUTE THAT WEIGHT SO YOU DON'T TIRE YOURSELF OUT AND HURT YOUR SHOULDER ON AN ISLAND WITH ONE DOCTOR AND NOT ENOUGH MEDICAL SUPPLIES! Ahem. Clearly I am not over that.
- Sam warmed his hands over the Nazi necromancer body fire. Yes. Very good. That is hilarious. And of course that made Aaron think they were psychopaths because who wouldn't think that, really, if you saw someone warm their hands over a burning body fire?
- "The boy smoked the pages." Best. Golem. Line. Ever.
- Sam's hair was en pointe this episode.
- "One badass Hummel figurine." "That we don't know how to put back in the box."
- Ooh, the scroll in his mouth. Nice nod to golem lore there.
- Sam must be in charge of the music in the Batcave, at least so far.
- They're drinking together, awwwww. And Dean's tacit approval for Sam to start geeking out caught Sam by surprise, but I think he was really pleased about it.
- I give Dean three days before he's so bored he's crawling the walls.
- "Paper beats golem. Fire beats undead Nazi zombie freaks."