Oh man, am I ever riding a "Supernatural" high! I spent this last weekend at Chicon and was totally immersed in all things "Supernatural". Hopefully it didnâ€™t have an effect on my perception of this episode because I loved it. (Donâ€™t mind me while I bury the lead.) I think Ben Edlund is a genius and Iâ€™m a sucker for these flashbacks! All around, Iâ€™m one happy fan.
No doubt there will be some unhappy fans. People donâ€™t like it when the boys keep secrets from each other. It causes a rift between them that throws off their whole dynamic. But for me, these little bumps in the road are what create the drama that keeps me interested. Not that I want the boys giving each other the silent treatment for episodes on end, I just like a little fuel in the fire. Believe me, Iâ€™m right there with you, yelling at Dean to â€œtalk to your brother!â€, because thatâ€™s what he should do. But inside I find myself intrigued by the drama that Dean not talking to Sam will provide. Does that make me a bad fan? I personally donâ€™t think so. If every episode was full of smiles and rainbows it wouldnâ€™t be the show we all love. And the bumps in the road help us learn more about Sam and Dean as individuals. Weâ€™ve always known that Sam is smart but did you know he was handyman? I certainly didn't. Separating him from Dean, even just in flashbacks, allows us to get to know Sam better. Taking Dean out of Samâ€™s life made him rethink everything. Whether thatâ€™s for better or worse isnâ€™t the point, itâ€™s getting to know Samâ€™s motivations as an individual. When you separate Dean from Sam you can see just how much Sam helps Dean maintain his humanity. Dean was a cold-blooded killer in Purgatory. Mostly because he had to be to survive. But we also know that Dean has struggled with torture in the past and he quickly reverts back to his old ways when it comes to finding Castiel and getting out of Purgatory. These are things that we only really get to see when the story forces these two characters apart. I am excited to continue to learn more about both these guys through their flashbacks and individual stories. So, what do you think? Would you rather have Sam and Dean getting along and being totally honest with each other? Do you enjoy watching them as a set rather than giving them their own stories?
What also made me happy about "Blood Brothers" is the strength of Benny's character. Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot of mystery surrounding our new vampire friend but I think they made leaps and bounds in revealing his character and motivations in this episode. Call me an eternal optimist, but I feel really good about Benny. Sure there's a possibility that he'll betray Dean the way Ruby did Sam but I just donâ€™t see that happening. They fought together in the trenches of Purgatory. Sure, he needed Dean to give him a lift out of Purgatory but he could have easily killed him once they were both topside. He knows Dean is a hunter but he trusts him and Dean trusts Benny to maintain control of his appetite.
We learned a lot about Benny in the Purgatory flashbacks. He saw Castiel as a liability and wasnâ€™t happy to bring him along but Dean was calling the shots and Benny was listening. When the leviathan attacked, it was Benny who went out of his way to save Castiel. How easy would it have been for him to let Cas die and have one less â€œmagnetâ€ to worry about? It would have been too easy. But Benny made his character especially clear to us when he allowed Dean to kill Andrea. She was no longer girl he fell in love with, she was a monster under the spell of her maker and still feeding on humans. So he made the tough choice to let Dean kill her. That says a lot about his motivations. So needless to say Iâ€™m on board with Benny at this point. How about you guys? Is anyone concerned about him?
We finally got to learn a little more about Amelia and boy does she have trust issues! Granted Sam was being especially creepy talking about her â€œgood handsâ€. There is obvious darkness in Ameliaâ€™s past which is probably why she and Sam connected so quickly. I hope we get to know more of her backstory as well as their day to day life together. Judging by the first episode of the season it looks like Sam convinced her to get a place that wasnâ€™t a hotel. I assume they all moved in together; Sam, Amelia and Dog. Sorry, but that made me laugh. Name your pet, Sam! Iâ€™m still so curious about why Sam left Amelia the way he did and why he hasnâ€™t talked to her since. Her face told us that she knew he was leaving but she didnâ€™t say anything or try to stop him. So many questions!
How about that final scene of the episode? Talk about a weighted moment. I absolutely loved the slow motion movement as Sam grabbed for his knife, not knowing who Benny was or if they were in danger, followed by Deanâ€™s slow shake of the head assuring Sam that Benny is to be trusted. There were so many emotions flying in that moment; confusion, shock, sadness, perhaps some guilt on Deanâ€™s part. It was such a great visual moment. And that heated stare at the end proves that Benny is right, they do have a lot to talk about. I canâ€™t wait to hear what questions Sam has and what explanations Dean is willing to give. Should make for an interesting conversation!
So what about you? Did you love this episode as much as I did? Am I the only one who didn't want it to end? Do you think Sam and Dean are entitled to their own â€œpersonal crapâ€ or do they need to be more honest with each other? Sound off below!
Here are some random moments and quotes worth mentioning.
- I donâ€™t think I can express enough love for Ben Edlund. The man is a genius.
- â€œVampiratesâ€ Obviously! Itâ€™s like the third thing you say.
- Dean: â€œI was trying to kill Crowley who happened to be wearing his mother at the time...well, thereâ€™s a difference!â€
- Dean: â€œLast I counted, you took a year off. I need a day.â€
- Sam: â€œYou are a wascally wabbit, Kevin Tranâ€ I believe this is the line Jared Padalecki referenced at the Chicon breakfast. He said there was a line that Sam says alone at the computer that he really didnâ€™t want to say. He actually tried to get away with not saying it but they made him add it back in post production. I laughed out loud when I heard it in the episode. But am I wrong, or does it sound like something Dean would say?
- Benny: â€œThis is the crazy aunt you wanna take on the road?â€ Cas: â€œI am not your aunt. I have no possible relation to your offspring.â€ I absolutely loved this moment. It reminded me of early Dean/Cas moments.
- Benny: â€œObviously, Iâ€™m less than comfortable with that.â€
- I loved Ameliaâ€™s mention of â€œSamâ€™s creepy sideburns.â€ They are definitely taking over his face,
- Benny: â€œWe just let the ocean swallow up all our sins.â€ Mr. Edlund has a way with the English language. I loved this line.
- Dean: â€œWas Fabio on the cover of that romance novel?â€
- Benny: â€œYouâ€™ve got your head so far up your ass you donâ€™t even know weâ€™re done for.â€
- Benny: â€œWhat I love ainâ€™t here no more.â€