WARNING! If you haven't seen "What's Up, Tiger Mommy?" read no further! There will be spoilers and heavy episodal discussion and other things you will want to see for yourself first, so don't read this until you've watched! Then come and speculate with us!
First and foremost, I want to start by saying I think this season has been really well-paced so far. I know it's only two episodes in, but man, things are moving along! I am really digging it. In fact, I'm really digging the whole start to this season, so I hope they can keep it going! Let's dive right in, shall we?
What is going on with him? I am really interested to find out what really happened in the year Dean was in Purgatory because there's something else besides finding a girl and a dog and settling down. When Dean went all unapproved methods of interrogation on that criminal, Sam was really halfassed in his attempts to make Dean stop. And the reverse exorcism. That was really, really clever, but he seriously just thought of that NOW? Maybe someone taught him that trick in the past year. Something is definitely up with him, I just can't put my finger on what it is yet. I think Sam's story this season is going to be like an onion, and we're gonna slowly peel back layers until we get the whole picture.
If Dean was feral last episode, he's practically rabid in this one. He's terrifying! He's having an extremely difficult time adjusting to being in "normal" society again, and I think the fact that he feels like he has literally no one to talk to right now is just compounding the issue. Cass is gone, Bobby's dead, he's still mad at Sam for not looking for him, no matter what he says, he's trying to keep Benny a secret. And it's clear that Sam has his own issues to deal with right now, so I'm not sure how much of a help he would be anyway. He's so apathetic right now. It reminds me of when Sam was Soulless, or when everything was black and white for him. It's a monster, kill it. It's our enemy, kill it. It would be better for the greater good, kill it. It makes Dean very uncomfortable to watch, doesn't it? Really looking forward to seeing where this is going with him, though.
Dean found him, hooray! Their reunion was so great, too. Dean was so happy to see Cass. And of course Cass would bug out if he thought it would keep Dean safe. Keeping Dean safe is pretty much his mission, at this point. But what was up with the end of the episode? Do you think when Dean said last episode that Cass just let go, he meant literally?
Mrs. Tran, Advanced Badass
Man, I hope Mrs. Tran is all right because she was excellent! Tattoo? No problem. Cranky pawn shop guy? She'll handle it. Bitch-slapping a demon? On it! She was super great, and I really hope that when we next see Kevin, he's with his mom, and she's okay.
Okay, time to bullet point the rest of this because I need to get to bed! Damn you, Wednesday nights that bleed into Thursday morning! It was so much easier when episodes were on Friday so I could sleep in Saturday morning!
- Aside from a particularly glaring incident that I'll talk about later, Sam and Dean were super competent this episode, and have been so far this season. Reverse exorcism? Awesome! Dean bumping into that guy and stealing the key out of his jacket pocket? Clever! They took on two demons around Kevin's house after some awesome recon by Dean, too. It's so nice to see them getting to show off how badass they can be instead of just getting kicked around all the time.
- That being said, Kevin Tran, advanced placement, can trick CROWLEY and get away. Why would you leave him alone???? Even if you don't want to be in the same room, at least listen by the door to make sure he's still there. SERIOUSLY, boys.
- Speaking of Crowley, he red-eyed tonight! And his smoke was red-hued, too. That's a new one. And he owns the moon. Of course he owns the moon.
- Dean was so proud of his little line about Pluto not being a planet anymore. Bless.
- The actor who played Samandriel (sp? Super-Wiki doesn't have the info yet) was the kid from "Bugs!"
- "Listen to moose, squirrel." Bwah!
- My TV cut out when Dean was talking to the Impala after Sam threatened to trade her for the tablet. What did he say?
- With Dean's hug tonight, that makes three hugs for him in two episodes. It's a new personal record! Also a new record for Cass, with one hug.
- "This isn't the men's room." Awkward pause.
- I literally just got that the Thor's hammer bidder got the 3/8 virgin or whatever he offered from the woman at the bank in the opening. *facepalm*